This week I’m coming at you with a great team jump rope game. We play this game during our Jump Rope Unit, Jump Rope For Heart and also on Field Day.
It’s a lot of fun to play and great for 3RD – 5TH grades. I do some lead-up activities with K-2nd (running through school, 2 turners and 1 jumper, jump rope rhymes), but I don’t introduce this game until 3rd grade.
This game is another golden nugget I got from J.D. Hughes book No Standing Around in My Gym.
Check out the game in the video below:
- Objective: Run in immediately after the person in front of you and jump one time and run out
- You are Out of the Tournament Rope if:
- You don’t run into the rope before it turns
- The rope hits your foot or body
- You jump more or less than one time
- When you are out at the “tournament rope” you simply go to the “practice rope” and continue to play the game
- Possible Variations:
- Change the direction of the rope
- Add more than one rope
- Play with a partner (2 running in at the same time)
There you go, add another awesome PE Game to your Phys Ed playbook.
A few reasons I like this game:
- The competitive element motivates students
- Nobody is standing or sitting around
- Super easy setup and cleanup
- It’s a game kids can play on their own once they learn it
- Once your kids get the hang of it, the “whirlwind” looks awesome as students are constantly moving in a circle
Hope you and your students enjoy the Whirlwind Challenge as much as we have.
Have Fun and Teach On!