This week I bring you an updated video from one of my all time favorite games. Once again I got this one from the Phys Ed Guru J.D. Hughes. He was kind enough to agree to letting me share this awesome game with you. If you like it, you should go check out the book that it came from HERE.
Check out the video below for a full walkthrough of the game:
Objective: To have the most hula huts standing after the time limit has expired
In the game there are 5 student positions:
- Scorer – shoots baskets to score hula hoops
- Builder – builds hula huts once their team scores 6 hoops
- Destroyer – tries to throw a ball and knock down the opposing teams huts
- Protector – protects the huts from being knocked down
- Gatherer – Gathers balls from the other side for Scorers and Destroyers
- No guarding the baskets/trashcans or whatever scorers are throwing the ball into
- Any time you step over the midline when throwing = 60 seconds in the penalty box
Why the Game is so Awesome:
- Allows for student choice (choosing between different jobs/positions during the game) – this increases engagement and helps differentiate between multiple skill levels and interests
- The game is cyclical – never ending game that the teacher can place a time limit on so that it fits specific needs for your lesson plan, class or schedule
- Strategy – the game is stock full of different strategic elements that you can discuss with students and apply to tons of different sports and game situations
Quick Note: Just remember, even with awesome games like this one, you don’t want to wear them out by playing them too often. I usually play this game once during my throwing unit and then again at the end of the year to review, but if you play a game much more than that, it starts to “lose it’s magic” and you might begin to see a dip in student engagement.
Hope you enjoy the game – thanks again to J.D. for bringing joy to students in Phys Ed everywhere with another incredible game for Physical Education. You can check out all of his books in my Amazon Store, or get them along with singles of games/activities in his Teachers Pay Teachers Store.
Small Spaces Version: